My husband I were recently talking about shopping and I said that if I had to pick the top three stores where I get my clothing at this point, it would be: the thrift store, Nordstrom Rack or Anthropologie. But then when I started thinking about it, I replaced Anthro with Poshmark. The first place I look is ALWAYS Poshmark and I’ve given lots of secondhand items a new life in my closet. Of course, I’ve also sold my own items too… just to keep the balance.
Throughout the year, I add items to my Poshmark closet as I do little cleanouts here and there. If I no longer love an item, it gets ruthlessly purged (either to my Poshmark closet or to a donation bag). Also, as Jack outgrows clothing and shoes if the items are still in good condition I go ahead and post them too.
Sold on Poshmark:
Here is what has sold from my closet since the start of 2022:
- Marni dress, $65
- Eileen Fisher sweater, $20
- Kid’s Super Mario sweatshirt, $9
- Loft dress, $15
- Frank & Eileen blouse, $30
- Eileen Fisher zip tunic, $22
- Levi’s pull-on skinny jeans, $14
- Swedish Hasbeen clogs, $60
- Kid’s tie dye Rothy’s, $18
- Rothy’s spotted loafers, $100
- Leota dress, $22
- Eileen Fisher boatneck sweater, $19
- J.Crew shirt, $15
- Frye sneakers, $34
My total of sales was $443 before Poshmark fees (20%).
The tie dye Rothy’s and Super Mario sweatshirt were outgrown from Jack’s closet. The clogs and sneakers both ended up being super uncomfortable for me, so I sold them. As for the rest, it was loved, worn and then sent back into the world.
Purchased on Poshmark:
Of course, I have also purchased items on Poshmark. I actually just leave my sold balance in my account and use it for my purchases… so it’s kind of like ‘free money’.
- Vintage Embroidered Denim Jacket, $60
- Zara rainbow stripe skirt, $20
- Cloth & Stone tie top, $28
- 2 Kantha Vintage scarves, $25 (used here)
- Eileen Fisher sweater, $35
- Anthropologie Polka dot midi skirt, $76
- Anthropologie beaded tulle skirt, $90
- Alexis x Target shirtdress in black and white, $60
- Alexis x Target shirtdress in blue, $40
- Anthropologie embroidered cardigan, $15
My total for 2022 so far: $449
Without fees, I’d pretty much be breaking even. As it is, I love giving secondhand items a new home. I especially love finding beautiful items at a small percentage of their original price. For example, the Anthropologie beaded tulle skirt that I picked up for $90 was new with the tags on it for $330. The Eileen Fisher sweater I bought for $35 still had the tags on it for $168.
Also, in looking at my Poshmark purchases on the photo grid — it would make a really cute capsule collection!
Here are some of my Poshmark scores in action over the last few months:
If you’ve been thinking about trying Poshmark, you can use my special invite code to open an account and get $5 off your first order. Just use: POCKETFULOFJOUL And here is a direct link to my closet: https://poshmark.com/closet/pocketfulofjoul. Feel free to make an offer on something if you love it!