I’m feeling the redecorating itch.
I’ve never truly LOVED the way I threw Jack’s room together, but didn’t have time to paint the room (or even really give any thought to the design) before he surprised us with his early arrival. So, I’ve just lived with the poopy brown wall color and sparse design. I mean, I don’t HATE it… but it could be a lot better.
I figured I’d just throw together a room board of a bunch of things I like to decide which direction I’d go in. At first, I was thinking of doing a full robot room theme, but decided that I’d probably get sick of that within a few months. Instead of going into full theme territory, I’ve decided to just pick some main colors and then just decorate with the idea of FUN.
1. This is the crib we already have (from Target). I like it a lot because it can be changed into a toddler bed and then further down the line turns into a headboard for a queen bed.
2. We already have a lot of blue upstairs (our master is a deeper blue and our hallway bathroom is a brighter blue), but I’m thinking of a moody gray/blue for Jack’s room to play off the grassy green carpet.
3. I’m in love with this fill-able lamp from Target ($45)and want to fill it to the brim with matchbox cars (or cheap ones from the dollar store).
4. Who doesn’t want a robot pillow (from Land of Nod for $14)??
5. This rug (from West Elm a couple years ago) currently lives in our kitchen… but it might look great switched to Jack’s room. Of course, then I’ll have to find a new kitchen rug…
6. This West Elm pillow just makes me happy ($44).
7. This Ikea dresser is the one that we already have and it works perfectly as a dresser/changing table.
8. I am OBSESSED with this quilt from Land of Nod with stripes on one side and whales on the other! ($79)
9. Orange dotted crib sheets from Babies R’ Us ($15)… cute or too much when put together with the stripes?
10. Assorted etsy artwork that I’d love to hang in a collage (all sources on my pinterest page).
11. I picked up three of these fun stars from JoAnn’s on clearance. I’m thinking that they might look cute hanging over the crib? Or maybe hanging over the reading nook?
I’m thinking of doing the makeover in two stages. The first will be with items I already have around the house that I can mix into the room. I’m also going to add in a few inexpensive items that will make a big difference, like new curtains.
Stage 1 ideas:
Okay, first off the jungle pennant HAS to go. It just screams PINTEREST and also seems a bit babyish for a toddler room. As for the pictures, we have a mirror leftover from our green bathroom project, so I’m thinking of removing two of the frames and adding a large square mirror instead.
The picture is coming down (and moving across the room). For the curtains, I’m thinking of extending the curtain rod further on each side and hanging full-length curtains to make the window look bigger and much more interesting since there isn’t much on that wall. As for safety, since the curtains will be on clips if Jack yanks on them they’ll come right down without harming him or my walls. Maybe something like this or this?
The two photo frames from over the dresser, the one from by the window and some random frames living in storage may be added to this wall. I’d love to purchase some of those etsy prints from the mood board, or even make our own art for a few of them. This lamp NEVER gets used because it’s hooked up to the same switch as the fan (which we use for white noise). We have an extra tall lamp in another room that I think would work if I dragged it behind the rocking chair.
Stage 2 ideas:
For stage two of the process, I will definitely be getting my paint on. I’d love to do a light moody gray/blue on the walls to make the trim and accessories really pop.
For the rest of the accessories, I think that if I can be a bit patient they would be great ideas to add to Jack’s Christmas Wish list. So, instead of getting more toys or clothes we can ask for the Land of Nod quilt that I’m slobbering over and the fillable lamp. How fun would it be to get a crapload of dollar store cars and fill that lamp with them?
Of course, I’ve never been very good at waiting. So there is a chance that I might just rip the place apart next week, repaint and bring in a bunch of new stuff…
Do you get the redecorating itch every so often and want to change EVERYTHING in a room? Are you wondering why the previous owners picked grassy green for the carpet in this room when every other room has neutral carpeting? Because I kind of am…
3 thoughts on “My Toddler Room Idea Dump”
Okay I REALLY love that robot pillow. I love the idea of a robot room for a little dude. Lots of bright primary colors. Dots and stripes? Heck yes. Play with the pattterns. It’s a kid’s room, and in my opinion, over-the-top is darn near impossible for a kid’s room. I also think that lamp would look really cool full of legos, but I think that’s just because I love bright colors so much. TONS of possibilities there!
Legos is a fantastic idea and there always a ton for cheap at thrift stores!
I love redecorating any room. Last year I was totally getting bored with my apartment and rather than spending an insane amount of money on new furniture I dropped a few hundred and bought new towels, new place mats, a few new pictures, new throw pillows and a new area rug….instant apartment face lift. It’s so much fun.