Note #1: This post is about poop. So if it’s not your thing, come back on Thursday and I promise I won’t be talking about poop anymore.
Note #2: This post was almost named “Nobody Shits on Spiderman” so I made this snazzy little meme. I don’t know why it makes me laugh so hard to imagine this image as the cover of a coming-of-age novel about the perils of potty training.
Sometimes I feel like I’m totally rocking at this parenting thing. Other times, I feel like I kind of suck at it. And it all comes down to poop.
Jack started with his potty training at the end of December when I was home for the holiday break. I did a nice little Potty Training update in February talking about how he was pee-pee trained pretty quickly, but we were still working on the whole poop thing.
Well, it’s July and we are STILL working on the whole poop thing.
He was actually starting to do a pretty darn good job a few months ago and getting his poops in the potty on a regular basis. He even got TEN in a row and earned himself a Transformer… which was kind of a big deal.
Then, he stopped.
Instead of using the potty, he was having little poop smudges in his underpants.
I called the doctor and found out that this was pretty darn typical (especially for boys). They decide to hold it for so long that they get a blockage in their intestines. The treatment was a one-two punch of suppositories (for the lower intestines) and stool softener (for the upper intestines).
So, we did this for a while to get him all straightened out… but now he has absolutely NO interest in pooping on the potty. In fact, it’s been over a month since he’s been successful with getting any poops in the potty and I don’t know what to do.
I feel like I’ve tried everything:
- Sticker charts for successful poops. This worked previously, but apparently not now.
- Acrobatic happy dances if even a smidge of poop gets near a potty. He is obviously impressed with my smooth dance moves, but not impressed enough.
- I have TWO awesome prizes sitting on top the fridge (fully visible) Nope, he doesn’t care.
- I have a clear jar of all kinds of candy sitting in the bathroom. He wants one, but not enough to earn it.
- I’ve made “BLEGH, gross” faces and noises when dealing with poopy underpants. He ignores me.
- I bought him new Spiderman underpants and told him that “nobody poops on Spiderman, because it’s totally not cool.” He asks to wear a different pair of underpants instead.
- If he gets poop in his underpants, I switch him to pull-ups for the rest of the day. He doesn’t like this, but not enough to do anything about it.
My kid LITERALLY has no shits to give.
Unless they are in his underpants.
I don’t know what to do. I mean, it’s obvious that it’s totally up to Jack when he wants to be potty trained and no amount of bribing/rewarding/jumping through hoops is going to force him to do anything. I feel like I’m failing though and I’m so embarrassed when I pick him up from his school and the teacher tells me that he pooped in his pants. Again.
I know that this is one of those thing that will work themselves out… I mean, he’s not going to be pooping his pants at age 10, right? RIGHT?!
Advice, support and ‘you can get through it’ pep talks needed!