It’s time for my bimonthly Clothing Purge Report! Rather than just showing you what I purchase, I like to also show you what items leave my house and how I sell or donate them. I also like to do a purge round-up to keep myself thinking about what else can be purged from my closets!
Here’s my criteria for where I sell:
- Poshmark/eBay: items that are in perfect condition.
- My Instagram page: items that are in perfect or near perfect condition. I’ll typically post a collage of what I’ve listed elsewhere.
- Facebook Sale Groups: items that are in perfect or near perfect condition in specific brands, such as Anthropologie, Boden, and Stitch Fix.
- ThredUp Clean Out Bag: items in very good condition, but not perfect enough for me to sell on my own.
- Donate to Thrift Stores: items in good condition or showing wear.
For August and September, once again I didn’t list anything on eBay or send a bag to ThredUp. However, I did take a few bags of Jack’s outgrown clothing and my not-so-great looking stuff to the thrift store for a donation.
I also sold a total of 13 items…
I had a bunch of summer clothing in my Poshmark closet, so I put a few items on “Last Chance Sale” and reduced the prices. I left them like that for a couple weeks (and made a couple sales), before I removed all the summer items (you may remember me trying to decide what to do).
Most of my Poshmark sales were items that I thrifted within the last year that ended up not working out for me. One sale was a skirt that I bought off Poshmark and it looked terrible on me, so I resold it back on Poshmark. The last two items were a purse and pair of booties from my closet that I no longer wanted.
Just last night (after I prepared this blog post) I also sold a pair of black flats for $12. To be honest, I figured they wouldn’t sell and I’d just donate them to Goodwill, but a profit of $10 isn’t too shabby!
I ended up making 7 sales and my total earnings were $174 before Poshmark fees (20%).
Facebook Sale Groups
I belong to some brand-specific Facebook groups: Boden Mamas B/S/T, Anthropologie BST, Non Crap Mama Clothes, Rothy’s BST, Stitch Fix b/s/t Large and Stitch Fix B/S/T. If you are interested in joining any of them, you need to submit to join and then the administrator will approve each person (I am not the administrator of any of these groups).
Items sold on Facebook groups:
- Boden floral dress – bought for $40 and wore a few times, sold for $35
- Stitch Fix tank top – haven’t worn in 2 years, sold for $18
- Anthropologie gingham dress – thrifted for $4, sold within 24 hours for $43
I usually have a lot of success in selling when I post a ‘clothing purge’ on the boards. Once again, all payments go through PayPal for the protection of both the buyer and seller.
This past Friday, I listed the following purge:
Within 24 hours, I had sold 4 out of 5 dresses!
- Akemi + Kin Eyelet Swing dress – bought on Poshmark and hated on me, sold for $60 (made a small profit)
- Maeve Banet Heart dress – bought on Poshmark and hated on me, sold for $50 (made a small profit)
- The Odells’ Geo Wrap dress (from this blog post) – sold for $85
- Maeve Galena Midi dress -bought on Poshmark and hated on me, sold for $40 (made a small profit)
I sold 7 items on Facebook and my total earnings were $331. I made a small profit on each of my items that I resold because I usually mark them up a little higher than what I paid since most people negotiate. In the case of this purge, everyone just paid the posted price… so that was pretty wonderful! I love selling through Facebook Groups because I don’t have to pay any Poshmark or eBay fees, just a small PayPal fee for the sale (usually a couple bucks). So all I have to subtract out is postage costs and the rest is MINE ALL MINE!
How did you like my bi-monthly ‘what I sold’ posts? Did you find them helpful? Do you have any clothes selling tips?