For the past few years, I’ve been using the same shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioning mask. They’ve all worked great and I’ve been happy with my hair. But suddenly they are just not working like they used to. I don’t know, my hair just feels kind of sad and limp. And maybe not as healthy as it previously did? I don’t know, life has been hard and I need a new shampoo to fix all my problems.
Here’s what I’ve been using since around October 2020: Olaplex No.4 shampoo, Olaplex No.5 conditioner, and Moroccan Gold Series Treatment Mask.
After years of working fantastically, when I opened a re-order of the Moroccan mask it seems like they’ve changed the formula and it doesn’t work as well. And since I’m towards the bottom of both Olaplex bottles, I feel like I need to date around a little before re-committing to $28 per bottle.
According to my hair stylist, my hair is fine but I have a lot of it. Also, my hair tends to lean more dry and is color-treated with me dying it at home every 8-9 weeks.
I started by googling ‘best shampoo and conditioner for fine, dry, color-treated hair’ and then when I’d see a potential match, I’d internet stalk for the reviews. Finally, after gathering a ton of information, I hit up my local TJ Maxx and Ulta to grab a few options to try:
The only reason I even know about JVN is that Elyse Myers raved about JVN products at some point and that stuck in my head and influenced me.
- JVN Undamage Strengthening Shampoo – $21 on Amazon, but I found it for $10 at TJ Maxx. Key benefits: gently cleanses, good for over-processed hair, minimizes split ends.
- JVN Embody Volumizing Conditioner – $21 on Amazon, but I found it for $10 at TJ Maxx. Key benefits: adds thickness and fullness to limp strands, restores softness and shine.
Pureology Hydrate Sheer came up again and again when I was googling for the best shampoo for fine, dry, color-treated hair. I didn’t want to commit to a full bottle, so I went to Ulta to buy travel-sized versions.
- Pureology Hydrate Sheer Nourishing Shampoo – $35 for full size on Amazon, but I bought the trial size for $11 at Ulta. Key benefits: specifically for dry, fine hair and restores suppleness to color-treated hair.
- Pureology Hydrate Moisturizing Conditioner – $36 for full size on Amazon, but I bought the trial size for $11 at Ulta. I WANTED to buy the Hydrate Sheer conditioner to match the shampoo, but they didn’t have it. So I bought the next best thing, the regular hydrate. Key benefits: provides moisture, softness, and protection for dry and color treated hair. The hydrate sheer is for fine hair and the hydrate is for medium to thick hair.
The brand Joico also kept coming up in my google searches, so I was thrilled to find it at TJ Maxx!
- Joico HydraSplash Hydrating Shampoo – $42.50 on Amazon, but I found it for $10 at TJ Maxx. Key benefits: adds hydration and softness to fine-to-medium, dry hair. Will not weigh it down. Has crazy good reviews on Amazon.
- Joico JoiFULL Volumizing Conditioner – $24 on Amazon, but I found it for $10 at TJ Maxx. Key benefits: for fine, thin hair. Adds instant body and long-lasting fullness. Boosts shine. Also has excellent reviews.
I’m going to take turns with each brand and give them a try for a week or so each. I’m very much hoping I find a new favorite. Going on reviews alone, I have high hopes for all three of the brands… so I’ll be sure to check in and let you know the winners.
Also, if you also have fine, dry, color-treated hair and you have a favorite shampoo and conditioner, please let me know so I can add it to my list!
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that clicking on a link may help me earn a small commission at no cost to you.